Re: U+02C1 and U+02E4

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Tue Jan 27 2004 - 23:18:30 EST

    Peter Kirk <peterkirk at qaya dot org> wrote:

    > Well, I was thinking that it should be specified in the Unicode
    standard
    > or character charts cf. the notes in the IPA extensions block and on
    > 0346-034E. Maybe it is IPA's responsibility, but the link "IPA and
    > Unicode" at their page http://www.arts.gla.ac.uk/IPA/ipa.html is
    broken.

    Not broken, but it takes you to the home page of the Department of
    Linguistics at the University of Victoria (British Columbia), which
    doesn't seem to be much help. You have to do some navigating to end up
    at:

    http://web.uvic.ca/ling/resources/ipa/charts/unicode_ipa-chart.htm

    which shows a full IPA chart (with additions) in Unicode.

    Note that in the "Contour" section at lower right, the characters that
    are supposed to be built from combinations of tone bars (U+02E5 through
    U+02E9) are replaced by a big red notice, "NOT YET SUPPORTED BY
    UNICODE." They are, but it's probably an understatement to say that
    font support for these combinations is a bit weak.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/