IPA Contour Tones (was: U+02C1 and U+02E4)

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Wed Jan 28 2004 - 12:29:16 EST

    On 28/01/2004 08:22, Doug Ewell wrote:

    >Peter Kirk <peterkirk at qaya dot org> wrote:
    >

    >>Thank you, Doug. This is a useful test page for IPA support. It would
    >>be even more useful if it attempted to display 02E5-02E9, perhaps with
    >>a suitable note about limited support.
    >>

    >Just to clarify for the list: The page does display the tone letters
    >U+02E5 through U+02E9 *in isolation*, as shown in the Unicode charts.
    >What Peter is suggesting is that it should also attempt to display the
    >contour marks using suitable combinations of the tone letters, "perhaps
    >with a suitable note about limited support."

    Indeed. More specifically, I would suggest an attempt to render the
    right half of the image in http://www.arts.gla.ac.uk/IPA/tones.html. The
    ligated forms based on 02E5-02E9 can be encoded in Unicode now, and can
    be displayed correctly in any font in which the ligature is encoded.
    There is more of a problem with the contour tone diacritics, above the
    e's in the right half of the image, as three of these combining marks
    are indeed missing from Unicode. This is similar to the list quoted by
    Peter Constable in N2646
    (http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n2646.pdf) figure 9.

    It is interesting that Peter considers treating these contour tone
    combining marks as ligatures of simple combining marks, but rejects this
    on the grounds that ZWJ and ZWNJ cannot be used with combining marks. If
    this restriction is removed as proposed in
    http://www.unicode.org/review/pr-27.html (the review period for which
    has just expired), this mechanism again becomes a possibility; and this
    may be an additional argument in favour of this review issue. Without
    such a ligation mechanism, there is a possibility that not only the six
    new combining marks mentioned in N2646 may be needed, but a set of
    around 100 corresponding to the around 100 Chao tone ligatures proposed
    in N2646.

    >WG2 documents N2626 and N2646 are useful starting points for
    >understanding the relationship between the five basic tone letters and
    >the numerous contour marks that can be constructed from them.

    N2646 seems more useful. A more basic reference is
    http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode4.0.0/ch07.pdf p.185.

    I note in passing that in
    http://web.uvic.ca/ling/resources/ipa/charts/unicode_ipa-chart.htm the
    tie bar between k and p is not rendered at all in Mozilla 1.6 on Windows
    2000.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)