Re: Collation charts out of date

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Fri Jan 30 2004 - 15:02:00 EST

    On 30/01/2004 09:44, Kenneth Whistler wrote:

    >The reason for this is that these are *small capital* variants.
    >Small capitals were never given compatibility decomposition mappings
    >in UnicodeData.txt. Thus, because compatibility decomposition
    >mappings are used for the first, automated cut at tertiary
    >weighting distinctions, small capitals don't get autoweighted
    >as tertiary variants. Instead, the input file is generated in
    >such a way that they get primary weights right after the group
    >of characters associated with the primary weight of the base
    >character.

    Couldn't you just treat the small caps like the mathematical
    alphanumeric symbols, as <font> compatibility variants of ordinary
    capital letters - which is after all what they are? That would I suppose
    make the distinction quaternary, at the code point level only, but I
    doubt if that matters. And it would tidy up the collation charts.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)