Re: (SC2WG2.609) New contribution N2705

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Tue Feb 17 2004 - 14:24:34 EST

    On 17/02/2004 10:15, Michael Everson wrote:

    > A new contribution:
    >
    > N2705
    >
    > http://www.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n2705
    >
    > Proposal to encode five Indo-Europeanist phonetic characters in the UCS
    >
    > Deborah Anderson & Michael Everson
    >
    > 2004-02-03

    These subscript letters and subscript '/' really don't look like plain
    text to me. The examples quoted, e.g.

    *hxC(V)- ~ *shxC(V)- [the x's to be subscripted]

    are more like mathematical formulae than text. While I can see argument
    for encoding such things as plain text, the argument would apply just as
    strongly to use of subscripts in mathematical formulae.

    I would suggest that consideration is given to an extension of the
    Unicode Mathematical Alphanumeric Symbols block to include a full range
    of subscript letters etc, and that such letters be used for applications
    such as this one. If such a proposal is considered unacceptable because
    it goes beyond what is plain text, then so should this proposal be.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)