Re: (SC2WG2.609) New contribution N2705

From: brian@gael-image.com
Date: Tue Feb 17 2004 - 16:02:58 EST

    In addition, superscripts and subscripts for palatalization, velarization,
    aspiration, etc., already exist in the Unicode IPA block. It seems to me that
    the function of such glyphs is similar to that of a diacritic in that it
    modifies the meaning of the base glyph.

    How is the term "plain text" being used here? Is the distinction one between
    natural language and scientific notation?

    If so, why is IPA included in the Unicode standard?