Re: (SC2WG2.609) New contribution N2705

From: Rick McGowan (rick@unicode.org)
Date: Wed Feb 18 2004 - 20:45:13 EST

    As long as we're on the topic, I have to weigh in on the conservative side
    in this argument, with Ken Whistler. Use of the existing subscript
    characters is generally bad practice. Adding more subscripts would be
    adding to the bad practice, and yield even more different ways to express
    the same thing (markup versus direct encoding).

    The examples given in the document are ample evidence that these
    linguistic notation systems have crossed way over the plain-text line. They
    should be *NOT* using the existing subscripts, but should consistently be
    using mark-up methods.

            Rick