RE: websites

From: Jon Hanna (
Date: Tue Feb 24 2004 - 10:45:06 EST

    Quoting Alan Wood <>:

    > Chris Jacobs wrote:
    > > Do you have the url of an UTF-16 webpage I can test it on?
    > Here are 2 pages, one BE and one LE, that I converted a few days ago to
    > prove to a sceptic that I.E. for Mac does not support UTF-16. The text is
    > mostly Chinese.
    > UTF-16 is specified in a meta tag, but not in the HTTP headers.

    Which of course means that a browser may have issues while still dealing okay
    with UTF-16 if the correct headers are sent.

    The interesting thing here as regards to the original concern that UTF-16 wasn't
    in the list of user-selectable encodings is that IE6 on Windows dealt with the
    page correctly, and looking at the encoding list there was a greyed-out
    encoding selected that isn't normally in the list for UTF-16 (actually it
    referred to it as "Unicode" and "Unicode (Big Endian)" depending on which of
    the two pages I viewed.

    Jon Hanna
    *Thought provoking quote goes here*