Re: Tajik alphabet code

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Mon Mar 01 2004 - 17:40:51 EST

    On 01/03/2004 14:24, Philippe Verdy wrote:

    >From: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk@qaya.org>
    >

    >>Aha, here's my way to get the characters I want into Unicode although
    >>they have been rejected! I find some near-bankrupt island state and
    >>persuade (with a little financial lubrication) its government to set up
    >>an official standards committee with me as the chair. I then issue an
    >>official national standard including the characters I want to get into
    >>Unicode.
    >>

    >Possible way to get it... Provided that this country has a chair for its
    >national standardization body in some international standard body. That country,
    >once it promotes its national standard would have to explain to other countries
    >why it needs it and why others should accept to manage with it.
    >
    >Your rarely used characters you seem to want are probably not a high priority
    >for this government, to costly discuss these issues in international standard
    >bodies (think about the cost of air trips, hotels, personnels...)

    Don't take me so seriously, when I write :-)

    >Yes they can start using Unicode each time it's possible. But lack of money for
    >newer developments will still require them to use the tools they have today,
    >including lots of legacy software made for 8-bit character processing systems.
    >It's really a question of cost, and an important and justified economic
    >decision, notably for a country which does not have the same financial power as
    >US which can benefit of the largest collection of software and hardware
    >solutions in the world.

    The cost of software is unlikely to be a serious issue. I haven't been
    to Tajikistan, but in many countries in that region almost any software
    is available for the cost of copying a CD. As a result Windows XP and
    Office XP (probably now 2003) are in general use.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)