Re: A proposed change of name for Latin Small Letter THwithStrikethrough

From: Ernest Cline (ernestcline@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri Mar 05 2004 - 19:11:09 EST

    As I said, I can see the point you made concerning the i.t.a., Michael
    but that does not affect the point that I made that there are at least
    three different variants that have been used in American English
    dictionaries of the same basic concept, representing a voiced
    th in a manner that is readable as a plain text th if one ignores
    the typographic cruft.

    TH WITH STRIKETHROUGH
    ITALIC TH LIGATED BY HOOK
    PLAIN TH LIGATED BY CROSSBAR

    three separate glyphic representations of the same character

    LEXICOGRAPHIC VOICED TH

    found in printed American English dictionaries that are designed
    to be readable as th, but typographically set apart to indicate
    how the word is to be pronounced The exact representation
    of the typographic difference does not matter so long as it is
    consistent within the same document but does not have to be
    consistent between documents. This is unlike the i.t.a. where
    the typographic distinction must be consistent even between
    different documents. That need for consistency between
    documents is why I now agree that the i.t.a. character should
    not be unified with this one.

    Now if one were to take a dictionary that used any one of those
    three forms mentioned above and consistently replaced one
    glyph with another throughout the dictionary, would there truly
    be any difference in the text? If you can point out how that
    would be the case, I'll gladly concede the point.

    As for the name used for this character, I don't really have
    a preference as long as it does not lock in one specific
    glyph.