Re: A proposed change of name for Latin Small Letter THwithStrikethrough

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Sat Mar 06 2004 - 06:45:32 EST

    On 05/03/2004 18:37, Ernest Cline wrote:

    >Oh? What about U+0643 Kaf and U+06A9 Keheh? That case
    >has an interesting parallel to this one. Keheh is specific form
    >of Kaf, much as TH WITH STRIKETHROUGH can be considered
    >a specific form of LEXICOGRAPHIC VOICED TH. The difference
    >is that the distinction embodied by Keheh is generally recognized
    >by a group of common users, while the distinction embodied
    >by TH WITH STRIKETHROUGH is significant only at the level
    >of the choice that an individual publisher chooses to make.

    In that case, what about U and V? Kaf and Keheh, although originally
    different shapes of one Arabic letter, are used as separate letters in
    some languages of Pakistan, and the users of those languages are the
    group of common users who recognise the distinction. U and V are
    originally different shapes of one Latin letter, and the distinction
    between them is also generally recognised by a group of common users,
    i.e. users of English and most other modern Latin script languages. But
    do we take U and V as different presentation forms of one character?
    Should one of them be only in the PUA? Surely not.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)