RE: Interchange requirement, was: A proposed change of name ...

From: Ernest Cline (ernestcline@mindspring.com)
Date: Sat Mar 06 2004 - 19:20:45 EST

    There are several on-line dictionaries available now. A quick
    examination found six different ways of representing the sound
    of voiced th.

    1) Italicize "th"
    2) Underline "th"
    3) Use "dh"
    4) Use the eth "ð" but not the full IPA. (Eth is in Latin-1.)
    5) Use "[|th]"
    6) Provide a audio file for the word.

    Do we really want to encode a particular publisher's markup as
    a character in Unicode? Has anyone asked the editors of those
    dictionaries whether they desire this character to be in Unicode?