Re: Irish dotless I (was: Languages with letters that always take diacriticals

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Wed Mar 17 2004 - 20:03:18 EST

    [skipping past various grandiloquence...]

    > Having worked so hard (sweating long years at other sources of income) to
    > fund the price of developing fonts and attending mtgs to define not just
    > individual 10646/Unicode characters, but whole character blocks within
    > 10646/Unicode, plus a series of 8859 sets to serve my country and her near
    > neighbours, as well as at drafting some relevant IS (Irish Standards), it
    > seems crazy that all that work is being thrown away (because such defined
    > character sets, it seems, are no longer being used, dropped from
    > referencing 'Unicode-savvy' software).

    *ahem*

    The "8859 set[s] to serve [Ireland] and her near neighbours" is:

    ISO/IEC 8859-14 Latin alphabet No. 8 (Celtic)

    The letter i in that encoded character set is 0x69 U+0069 LATIN SMALL LETTER I.

    Hmm. Seems to me that we've seen that particular animal before, since it
    is also U+0069 LATIN SMALL LETTER I in ISO/IEC 10646 and in the Unicode
    Standard.

    We are talking about the *same* character here, whether it be in
    10646, in Unicode, in 8859-14, or in a defined European subset of
    10646.

    The fault, dear Marion, is not in our characters,
    But in our fonts, that we are displaying.

    --Ken