Re: Irish dotless I (was: Languages with letters that always takediacriticals

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Thu Mar 18 2004 - 06:17:25 EST

    On 17/03/2004 16:20, Rick McGowan wrote:

    >Marion Gunn wrote...
    >

    >>So, my question still is... how to guarantee continuance,
    >>in the specific context of Irish text computing, of the traditional
    >>restriction of the Irish diacritic dot (having only one single function in
    >>Irish) to the consonants to which it belongs?
    >>

    >The answer is to educate the errant font vendors and the public. Or
    >boycott bad fonts and their vendors. Write letters to advertisers. Or
    >something of that ilk.

    An alternative for Marion, if her company still has rights to the fonts
    which it so expensively developed to serve her country, would be to
    distribute those fonts widely (and that probably means free of charge)
    in Ireland and among others who might want a Celtic type script, and to
    promote them heavily among those interested in authentic Irish script.
    Giving away good fonts is more likely to work than boycotting bad ones.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)