Re: help needed with adding new character

From: Rick McGowan (rick@unicode.org)
Date: Thu Mar 18 2004 - 13:25:59 EST

    > See for example, http://www.4commongood.org/images/circlea.jpg

    OK.

    > 4) Determine a suitable code-page for the character

    We don't do "code pages"; and you can actually skip this step if you
    aren't sure where it might be able to go.

    > 6) Create or find a computerised font representation of the character
    > (preferably free)

    And/or unencumbered, and certainly it must be available for Unicode Inc to
    secure the rights to use the font.

    Jon, if you want to submit a proposal, by all means do so. Let UTC decide
    whether they think it's a character or not. You have the process pretty
    well figured out. You will probably be expected to provide plenty of
    evidence that this "character" is used in running text -- e.g. scanned
    images from various relevant publications showing its usage. If plenty of
    such evidence doesn't exist, then the "character" is probably a novelty
    that hasn't caught on very far. (Even if your proposal isn't accepted, it's
    a good exercise, and you'll be better equipped to propose other things in
    the future.)

            Rick

    (As usual on this list, I am only stating my opinion and this is not an
    official statement of any kind.)