Re: Irish dotless I (was: Languages with letters that always take diacriticals

From: brian@gael-image.com
Date: Thu Mar 18 2004 - 15:32:14 EST

    Quoting jcowan@reutershealth.com:

    > brian@gael-image.com scripsit:
    >
    >> Thus, the digraph <0062>+<0068> (i.e., "bh") represents the same
    >> conceptual object as <1E03>. Note that, if a selection of Irish text
    >> is set using one convention or the other, problems with spell checkers
    >> will occur UNLESS there is some metadata that indicates the writing system.
    >
    > Well, unless your spelling-checker author is bright enough (as is very
    > likely) to handle both dot-convention and h-convention spellings.
    > These are not intrinsically tied to Uncial vs. Antiqua font styles,
    > though; one can write perfectly good Irish in Antiqua style and still
    > use dotted consonants.

    That's my point. The differences between Roman and "Gaelic" orthographies as a
    whole are not intrinsically tied to font styles. Although Michael insists that
    it is, he also acknowledges that current spell checkers only work with the
    modern (Roman) orthography and that there are no spell checkers that work with
    the "older" orthography.

    Use of the dot-convention of marking lenition already necessitates that
    different characters must be used to represent the same phonological segments
    that would otherwise be represented by <cons>+"h", which would itself confound
    existing spell checkers.

    In this context, and if it's true that a spell checker could, in theory, be
    programmed to handle parallel encoding conventions, then why shouldn't Irish
    language "traditionalists" encode the i with a LATIN SMALL LETTER DOTLESS I
    such as <0131>?

    Respectively,

    Brian the Unspecified
    (who is using a Webmail application because he's away from home)