Problem for the Burmese/Myanmar and Tagalog font selection in IE

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Tue Mar 23 2004 - 17:08:25 EST

    This message may be out of topic, but it's something which causes me troubles
    when trying to configure IE to display text written with the Burmese/Myanmerese
    (and Tagalog as well) script.

    Apparently IE has a bug in the way it maps these two scripts with appropriate
    fonts, so that I can only select a Tagalog font for the Burmese/Myanmarese
    script (and the reverse).

    This affects at least the French version of Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP,
    but I don't know if it affects other versions of Internet Explorer.

    That's why I wonder if there's a way to configure IE via registry settings
    instead (as the GUI is apparently bogous), or if this is an issue with the
    TrueType headers specification for the bits that define script support in
    TrueType/OpenType fonts.

    If this is a known bug in IE, is there a patch for it?

    Thanks for tips about this issue.

    For now all I can do is to use a font that contains both scripts simultaneously
    (I need to create a specific merged font from two fonts made for these scripts,
    but their licencing prohibits me from performing such changes or at least to
    distribute this custom font where parts of the glyphs and tables have been
    imported to a distinct font).