RE: vertical direction control

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Wed Mar 24 2004 - 11:24:28 EST

    > From: unicode-bounce@unicode.org [mailto:unicode-bounce@unicode.org]
    On Behalf
    > Of Peter Kirk

    > It seems strangely inconsistent to me that Unicode has detailed
    controls
    > for horizontal layout direction and the complex bidi algorithm, but
    has
    > nothing for vertical layout.

    The bidi embedding and overrides are needed to maintain legibility of
    the text is certain situations. Orientation controls for CJK text are
    not needed to ensure legibility. For instance, given an encoded sequence
    < a, b, c, space, D, E, F >, it isn't clear whether it should appear as

    abc FED

    or

    FED abc

    This kind of problem does not arise in CJK text.

    The orientation of CJK text is a presentation issue that is out of scope
    for Unicode.

    Peter

    Peter Constable
    Microsoft Windows Division