RE: vertical direction control

From: Ernest Cline (ernestcline@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Mar 24 2004 - 13:55:56 EST

    For the scripts that are currently in Unicode, I agree. However, for a
    boustrophedon only script such as Moon Code, it will prove needful
    to handle this in some manner, if for no other reason than to determine
    how it would fit into the bidirectional algorithm. It might be sufficient
    give such scripts their own Bidirectional Character Type. (For instance,
    LB Left-to-Right Boustrophedon for a boustrophedon script that normally
    starts with its first line going left-to-right, as is the case for Moon
    Code.
    If needed, type RB could also be added, altho I am unaware of any
    boustrophedon only script that prefers to start going right-to-left.)

    It is reasonable for Unicode to ignore boustrophedon at present
    because it is not necessary for the scripts it currently supports and
    it adds an extra and usually unneeded layer of complexity to the
    bidirectional algorithm. If Unicode ever adds a boustrophedon
    only script, then in my opinion, leaving the issue to higher levels
    would be insufficient and Unicode will have to bite the bullet
    and address boustrophedon in the standard itself.