Re: Printing and Displaying Dependent Vowels

From: Antoine Leca (Antoine10646@leca-marti.org)
Date: Fri Mar 26 2004 - 09:40:24 EST

    Sorry to answer my own post.

    > Avarangal asked about
    >> the requirements by educational establishments is the ability
    >> to print and display dependent vowels without dotted circles.
    >
    > John Cowan answered:
    >> Avarangal scripsit:
    >>
    >>> Can any one provide information on the sequences used for diplaying
    >>> and printing dependent vowels as standalones.
    >>
    >> The standards-conforming way to do so is to precede the dependent
    >> vowel with a space character (U+0020).
    >
    > Does it fullfil the need (i.e., displaying _without_ dotted circles).
    > If so, where is it written?

    It seems many are thinking about the section in 2.10, titled "Spacing Clones
    of European Diacritical Marks". I read it as applying to diacritical marks
    (and perhaps only European ones, but the distinction looks like blurry to
    me). Beginning of 2.10 makes quite clear that diacritics is only one class
    (the most important, though) of combining characters. Indic dependent vowels
    are another.

    Also, something which is probably very relevant to Avarangal, fact is the
    implementation from a major vendor in the field, Microsoft Uniscribe, does
    retain the dotted circle (if present in the font; if not, you would probably
    get the .missing glyph instead).

    Antoine