Re: What is the principle?

From: John Cowan (cowan@ccil.org)
Date: Fri Mar 26 2004 - 20:45:07 EST

    Peter Kirk scripsit:

    > Perhaps Pluto will no longer need encoding as a sign, as I gather its
    > status as a planet is now doubtful. See
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3516952.stm.

    By the same token, the puncta extraordinaria may or may not be accents,
    but their status as characters is not in doubt; likewise Pluto's
    reality as a significandum.

    In any event, several of the asteroids have symbols as well: at least
    Ceres, Pallas, Vesta, and Juno, the Big Four of the main belt.
    See Koch's _Book of Signs_.

    --
    LEAR: Dost thou call me fool, boy?      John Cowan
    FOOL: All thy other titles              http://www.ccil.org/~cowan