Re: What is the principle?

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sun Mar 28 2004 - 17:43:42 EST

    At 07:53 PM 3/27/2004, jameskass@att.net wrote:

    > > >What does the collation standard say to do with unassigned codepoints
    > > >anyhow?
    > >
    > > Variation selectors are not unassigned characters.
    >
    >But, they might be regarded as such by any application predating VSs. And,
    >likewise for any VS sequences approved after the application was created.

    While applications predating VSs have no choice but to treat them as what
    they are (in that context) i.e. unassigned characters, applications of later
    date have no business treating unapproved VS sequences as unassigned
    *characters*.

    The intent of VSs is to mark a difference that falls below the distinction
    between separately encoded characters. Therefore I would expect that by default
    all VS charactesr are ingnored in an fullblown collation implementation,
    leaving
    open the choice of supporting, say, a fourth level difference between specific
    known variation sequences.

    They are also best ignored in any kind of identifier or name matching, as
    otherwise
    the presence of invisible characters can change the lookup--with all the
    consequences
    for spoofing and security.

    A./