Re: What is the principle?

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Mon Mar 29 2004 - 07:38:28 EST

    On 27/03/2004 17:47, John Cowan wrote:

    >Asmus Freytag scripsit:
    >

    >>This can be tricky esp,. when the user doesn't know a VS is present
    >>and the font used to view the data doesn't have an alternate glyph.
    >>

    >Well, surely it'll turn into the black blob, or the reversed question
    >mark, or whatever. It won't just vanish, except in a font which explicitly
    >makes it vanish, and such a font ought to have the mandatory ligatures too.
    >

    >>Should comparison, by default, ignore VS?
    >>

    >No, I think not. Of course proper collation is a different matter.
    >What does the collation standard say to do with unassigned codepoints
    >anyhow?

    Surely Variation Selectors are "default ignorable" characters, which
    implies that if a process (including collation?) doesn't know what to do
    with them they should be ignored, i.e. treated as not present rather
    than as undefined characters. It is that behaviour which makes them so
    useful for the purposes I had in mind.

    The last question above is irrelevant as these are not unassigned code
    points.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)