Re: U+0140

From: Anto'nio Martins-Tuva'lkin (antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt)
Date: Mon Mar 29 2004 - 10:38:58 EST

    "If" indeed -- something of which I am not sure about; for I wrote:

    >> I'm no expert in Catalan typesetting but IIRC the dot becomes a
    >> hyphen, while regular "LL"s cannot be broken.) I could ask about
    >> this in Catalonia

    "IIRC" means "if I recall correctly". So, do speculate at will, but
    please do not misquote me!

    The substance of "Catalan middle dot vs. hypenation" is interesting
    but not relevant for the asked editing of the comments under U+0140 in
    the standard.

    OTOH, I maintain that Catalan middle dot is indeed to be treated like
    a letter, from a typography point of view -- namely for word counting
    and selecting purposes.

    > I suppose that in Catalan, one could use the middle dot to mark this
    > syllable break in words like "kilo.octet".

    OK, now you are genuinely joking, aren't you?! If you haven't yet
    grasped it earlier, Catalan middle dot is to be found only between
    "L"s, for the already explained reasons. I see that one must indeed
    take your statements in matters unknown with a very liberal pinch of
    salt. :-(

    -- ____.
    António MARTINS-Tuválkin | ()|
    <antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt> |####|
    PT-1XXX-XXX LISBOA Não me invejo de quem tem |
    +351 934 821 700 carros, parelhas e montes |
    http://www.tuvalkin.web.pt/bandeira/ só me invejo de quem bebe |
    http://pagina.de/bandeiras/ a água em todas as fontes |