Re: Windows and Mac character encoding questions

From: John Cowan (cowan@ccil.org)
Date: Mon Mar 29 2004 - 23:37:08 EST

    Mark Davis scripsit:

    > Some more details. Usually, by 'extension' one means a superset of
    > the mappings. windows-1252 is formally disjoint from iso-8859-1 --
    > not a superset -- since it has mappings for 0x80..0x9F which are
    > different from iso-8859-1's mappings for the same bytes.

    I don't have access to ISO 8859-1 itself, but ECMA-94 (1986), which is
    supposed to be equivalent, doesn't actually define anything for 0x80..0x9F.
    So I think the term "superset" is in fact justified.

    --
    John Cowan  jcowan@reutershealth.com  www.reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan
    Rather than making ill-conceived suggestions for improvement based on