Re: What is the principle?

From: D. Starner (shalesller@writeme.com)
Date: Tue Mar 30 2004 - 16:29:12 EST

    "Dominikus Scherkl (MGW)" writes:

    > I would expect any application to allow _all_ properties to
    be
    > defined by the user for each and any PUA charakter.
    > If not so, it's a bug in the application! (at least if it can
    > handle charakters with the same properties elsewhere in the
    Unicode.)

    That's a nice theory. But in practice I don't know of a single
    program that allows you to change the properties of Unicode
    characters without a recompile. You'd really need a standard
    format for defining the PUA, because even Unicode geeks would
    get tired of inputing the various properties by hand into every
    program.

    I think Unicode made the PUA too hard to use, deliberately or
    through apathy. If there were some standard way to announcing
    the system being used or even to segregate characters by users,
    it might be usable. But in practice, cuneiform PUA usage in
    plain text was broken due to concerns about confusion, and
    Klingon webpages tend to get their characters mixed with random
    junk from other pages. It's almost more reliable to use the
    ASCII or Latin-1 area for your PUA characters than the PUA
    itself--at least there, the programs won't usually switch fonts
    randomly.

    Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
    http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm