Re: Fixed Width Spaces (was: Printing and Displaying DependentVowels)

From: fantasai (fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net)
Date: Tue Mar 30 2004 - 21:01:59 EST

    Ernest Cline wrote:

    > The main usage is with compound words such as "ice cream" or
    > "Louis XIV" or commercial phrases such as "Camry SE" where for
    > esthetic reasons an author would prefer that the space not expand
    > upon justification,

    Given wide enough measures, good text layout program should be able
    to produce justified text without very noticeable changes in word
    spacing.

    > NBSP doesn't break, but should it justify?

    I believe NBSP should be, to the reader, indistinguishable from a
    regular space. It does not have a semantic function as a compound-
    word-joiner; it's just a space that doesn't break, and therefore
    should be treated like any other space.

    ~fantasai