Re: Converting between Shift-JIS and Unicode

From: Tom Emerson (tree@basistech.com)
Date: Thu Apr 01 2004 - 18:12:43 EST

    Rick McGowan writes:
    > A long long time ago we decided to drop support for most mappings.

    With much discussion, contention, and huffing, I might add. Let's not
    reopen this discussion. I know Rick doesn't want to. I certainly
    don't, and I expect Jenkins would prefer to avoid it too. ;-)

    > There are many reasons, not least of which is that some of them are
    > moving targets, and we don't have resources to support them. For
    > "Shift JIS" there are many problems because there isn't just one
    > "Shift JIS"; each vendor has their own flavor. The vendors should
    > track their own mappings to Unicode, where they differ from JIS.

    The best thing to do is pick a flavor of Shift JIS and stay with
    it. At this point I recommend CP-932, only because it is probably the
    most ubiquitous. While I don't work with the Japanese encodings that
    often, I expect there are even different versions of CP-932 depending
    on which version of Windows you are using. This is certainly true for
    CP-950. This does, of course, depend on your application.

    You can find many mapping tables for these at IBM's ICU site,

    http://oss.software.ibm.com/icu/

    In particular,

    http://oss.software.ibm.com/cvs/icu/charset/data/xml/

    You can also find tables in the GNU iconv source, and numerous other
    places, e.g., Mozilla.

        -tree

    Software Architect                                 http://www.basistech.com