Re: Unicode 4.0.1 Released

From: Richard S Cook (rscook@socrates.berkeley.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 08 2004 - 21:20:48 EDT

    On Apr 8, 2004, at 04:29 PM, John Jenkins wrote:

    > On Apr 2, 2004, at 4:38 AM, Andrew C. West wrote:
    >
    >> For me 4.0.1 was a big disappointment. The much vaunted update of the
    >> Unihan
    >> database did not even clear up all the editorial errors in the
    >> database, let
    >> alone deal with the real problems of content, such as incorrect or
    >> dubious
    >> Mandarin, Cantonese, Korean and Japanese readings.
    >
    > [ and so on...]
    >
    > BTW, in case anybody's wondering, I've been working with Andrew
    > privately to get these issues resolved.

    John,

    In a database of 1,047,571 records (when last I checked) errors are
    bound to turn up now and again. As more and more informative data gets
    added, it's going to need fixing sometimes.

    Far from being disappointed, I commend you for your tirelessness in
    this thankless task. Unihan will never be more than what people make of
    it. You have clearly made a lot of it.

    -Richard