Variant positions of combining marks

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Sat Apr 10 2004 - 10:47:56 EDT

    Does anyone know of any cases where the same combining mark is combined
    with the same base character in two or more different positions, and
    where the positioning is semantically significant? How does Unicode deal
    with this situation? Would variation selectors be appropriate in this
    situation, or what other mechanism might be proposed?

    I am looking for examples other than Hebrew vav and holam, because I am
    looking for precedents for dealing with this situation elsewhere in
    Unicode. I am also excluding distinctions like DOT ABOVE and DOT BELOW,
    where the marks are treated as different characters although the glyphs
    may actually be the same.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)