Re: help finding radical/stroke index at unicode.org

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Wed Apr 14 2004 - 17:49:43 EDT

    Gary asked:

    > Thanks, Frank. I hadn't found the grid index and it looks
    > worth remembering. But now I'm beginning to think I didn't
    > ask the right question.
    >
    > Judging by what we saw in the back of the Unicode 2.0 book,
    > we would tend to say that it is correct that (in an index)
    > 21333 (0x5355) is sorting under 21313 (0x5341) instead of
    > 20843 (0x516b).

    That is an incorrect assumption. Dictionaries (and indexes to
    character lists in general) make different assignments to
    radicals in these marginal cases. There is no one right
    answer for every circumstance. Certainly, you cannot take
    the Unicode *2.0* radical/stroke index as definitive for
    anything.

    If you look at the Unicode *4.0* radical/stroke index, you will
    find that U+5355 is listed *twice* in the index, once under
    the U+5341 radical and once under the U+516B radical,
    precisely to make it easier for people to find the
    character in question, no matter what their assumption might
    be regarding what part represents "the" radical for the
    character. This is a not uncommon situation, particularly
    for simplified characters which don't always have obvious
    radicals. Note that the traditional form of this character,
    U+55AE, is listed under the 'mouth' radical, U+53E3, and
    not under U+5341 or U+516B.

    > I am looking for some table of radicals
    > that I can show our customer to help support that claim.

    I think that rather than arguing with the customer on the
    basis of an old radical/stroke index in Unicode 2.0, your
    best course might simply be to provide the customer with
    the behavior they desire. :-)

    > Perhaps I should start by asking for opinions on the above
    > sorting, and for guidelines on how best to govern such
    > decisions,

    Please your customer.

    --Ken