Re: U+0140

From: Mark Davis (mark.davis@jtcsv.com)
Date: Mon Apr 19 2004 - 00:13:13 EDT

    > From Unicode's perspective, the consistent difference in treatment of 00B7
    > and 0387 is embarrassing, given the fact of their canonical equivalence.

    There are to be sure, features of Unicode that are "embarassing", but I don't
    think this is one of them. Take another case: even if consistent practice in
    Poland is to have the grave accent in ó at a different angle than what is
    practice in France, that does not make it a mistake for us to have encoded both
    as ó. These sorts of preferences can be taken into account in the tailoring of
    fonts to particular practices, and this issue doesn't not require that we let a
    thousand middle dots bloom.

    And canonical equivalence was the mechanism for saying that two variants of
    character really should never have been encoded (but we had to for compatibility
    reasons).

    Mark
    http://www.macchiato.com
    ► शिष्यादिच्छेत्पराजयम् ◄