Re: Unihan.txt and the four dictionary sorting algorithm

From: Tom Emerson (tree@basistech.com)
Date: Fri Apr 23 2004 - 12:01:05 EDT

    Edward H. Trager writes:
    > Perhaps someone else on this list can tell us how to get Apple's terminal application
    > or xterm running on OS X to display UTF-8 characters correctly[...]

    This is trivial in the terminal:

    1. Select "Window Settings" from the "Terminal" menu.

    2. Select "Display" from the popup at the top of the Terminal Inspector

    3. Select "Unicode (UTF-8)" from the "Character Set Encoding:" popup.

    For fonts I find that "Monaco Regular 10.0 pt." works great for
    Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and Arabic (though the latter without
    joining behavior).

    What I haven't been able to figure out is how to *enter* these
    characters in the terminal using the system IMEs.

    The only other thing to do is to set the LESSCHARSET environment
    variable to "utf-8" in your .profile, .cshrc, .zshenv, or whatever
    shell configuration file you need.

    I have yet to make UTF-8 work reliably in the Apple X11 xterm ---
    while the application is supposed to support UTF-8, it always crashes
    for me. I've never bothered to debug it since the Terminal app works
    fine for me.

        -tree

    Software Architect                                 http://www.basistech.com