Re: Variation selectors and vowel marks

From: Ernest Cline (ernestcline@mindspring.com)
Date: Sun Apr 25 2004 - 18:12:25 EDT

    > From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk@qaya.org>
    >
    > As for the new variant selectors being in the SSP, is this actually
    > necessary, or could they be in the Hebrew block, space permitting?
    > After all, if we are talking about VSs with the fixed combining classes
    > of Hebrew points, they are useful only with Hebrew script.

    While they could be added to the Hebrew block, they would
    not benefit from the decision in Unicode 3.2 to mark
    certain unassigned code points as having the Default Ignorable
    property. As such, they would not be ignored by any
    implementation conformant to version of Unicode prior to
    the version in which they were added. They certainly aren't
    General Punctuation or Specials which are the only two blocks
    on the BMP that contain unassigned Default Ignorable
    characters. Not making use of that ignorability weakens the
    case for Hebrew Variant Selectors, especially since font
    support for new vowel marks is likely to be added sooner
    and more easily that support for new ignorable characters.
    If HVS's are ever adopted, they clearly would belong on the
    SSP in a new one row Hebrew Variant Selectors block chosen
    from the 233 rows of available default ignorable characters.