Re: Proposal to add 2 Romanian characters

From: Cristian Secarã (orice@secarica.ro)
Date: Mon Apr 26 2004 - 06:39:32 EDT

    Michael,

    I know the combining diacritical marks approach.
    The only problem I have is the inconsistency with the other 2 mentioned
    characters (4, if caps considered).

    A keyboard can generate a single or combined character in few different
    ways:
    1. direct character generation; useful for base characters or
    frequently used composed characters, not recommended for rarely used
    [composed] characters
    2. dead key mechanism; useful for composed characters that happen to be
    used occasionally on a given language or conjuncture
    3. ligatures; I know that this is technically possible, however, I am
    not aware of an European language that actually uses this mechanism

    As far as I know, the target of (1) and (2) should be a single point
    character, whereas the target of (3) should be a string of n
    characters. Feel free to correct me on this.

    In my case (keyboard definition) I either should
    a) keep the actual keyboard structure and extend the existing
    characters 1EA4, 1EA5, 1EAE and 1EAF with ?? (reason of this thread)
    b) ignore the existing 1EA4, 1EA5, 1EAE and 1EAF characters and extend
    the keyboard with 6 ligatures

    Hmm ...

    Additional question - if so, then what was the reason for the existing
    1EA4, 1EA5, 1EAE and 1EAF characters ? Are those characters used on a
    regular basis in Vietnamese language ?

    Bob,

    Thank you for your link and sample.
    I will keep this for future reference; however, in this case I am
    referring to the principle and not to an occasional need to write
    something.

    Thank you.
    Best wishes,
        Cristi