Re: Defined Private Use was: SSP default ignorable characters

From: Dean Snyder (dean.snyder@jhu.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 28 2004 - 10:24:55 EDT

    C J Fynn wrote at 2:00 PM on Wednesday, April 28, 2004:

    >Of course any system which implemented something like this would have to be
    >designed to avoid conflicts in situations where there were multiple PUA fonts
    >with different characters having conflicting properties assigned to the same
    >PUA codepoints.

    This is most easily and most naturally controlled by the end users of
    such introspective setups - simply do not allow conflicting PUA code
    points on their systems. In such a scenario, the operating system is not
    forced to make decisions.

    But if there were multiple PUA fonts with competing code points on a
    single system, I suggest that OS'es should simply go with the first font
    (defining "first" as that font whose file name has the lowest Unicode-
    code-point-based "alphabetic" order).

    Respectfully,

    Dean A. Snyder

    Assistant Research Scholar