Re: New contribution

From: Mark E. Shoulson (mark@kli.org)
Date: Wed Apr 28 2004 - 22:48:23 EDT

    Kenneth Whistler wrote:

    >Dean,
    >

    >For the Aramaic script continuum there are two potential easy
    >answers:
    >
    >1. Hebrew is already encoded, so just use Hebrew letters for
    >everything and change fonts for every historical variety.
    >
    >2. Encode a separate repertoire for each stylistically distinct
    >abjad ever recorded in the history of Aramaic studies, from
    >Proto-Canaanite to modern Hebrew (and toss in cursive Hebrew, for
    >that matter), starting with Tables 5.1, 5.3, 5.4, and 5.5 of
    >Daniels and Bright and adding whatever you wish to that.
    >
    >But the *correct* answer is likely to be the hard one that carves
    >up that continuum into some useful small set of repertoires to
    >be encoded as separate "scripts" and identifies each of the
    >abjad varieties to be associated with each respective "script",
    >so that extant texts can be correctly encoded in an
    >interoperable way.
    >

    >>I'm not saying we shouldn't encode the "landmarks" in the Canaanite
    >>script continuum;
    >>

    >You aren't? Good. Then instead of objecting on generic grounds
    >to the Phoenician proposal, answer the following question:
    >
    >A. Does Phoenician constitute a "landmark" in the Canaanite
    > script continuum? Yes/No
    >
    >And once you answer that question, perhaps you can contribute to
    >a specification of what the rest of the list of appropriate "landmarks"
    >consists of.

    This is really what it all boils down to. The script spectrum is
    inarguably a continuum, and it's a matter of how many snapshots or
    branches to encode, and which ones. And of course, *who* gets to make
    that decision. It's something to be approached with some care, but
    perhaps it's smarter *not* to approach it with care, since a careful,
    detailed study involving more than one single decision-maker is almost
    certain to produce nearly endless debate and no decisions!

    I think there probably should be more than one branch, and I can
    certainly see no easy way to agree on how many or which. Take some
    relatively respected tree and find important-looking nodes? I know I
    have my own idiosyncratic feelings about "this and this are the same
    script, these two aren't," but I probably couldn't prove them.

    ~mark