Re: Defined Private Use was: SSP default ignorable characters

From: C J Fynn (cfynn@gmx.net)
Date: Thu Apr 29 2004 - 06:51:20 EDT

    From: "Philippe Verdy" <verdy_p@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

    > From: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk@qaya.org>
    > > Philippe Verdy wrote:
    > > >This means that this document URI can be inserted within the font (I'm
    quite
    > > >sure that the OpenType format already has such meta-tags table, in which a
    > URI
    > > >could be inserted to access those properties).
    > >
    > > Why refer to something which needs to be downloaded separately from the
    > > Internet? I can't imagine users being very happy if their characters are
    > > displayed only when they are connected to the Internet, and so not when
    > > on the road with a laptop etc etc. And there are still an awful lot of
    > > computer users worldwide with no Internet access or only occasional and
    > > expensive dial-up access.
    >
    > Why do you think that using a URI necessarily requires a Internet connection?
    > A URI is only an identifier, made unique using either a global registry or
    using
    > some other methods (an URI can contain a UUID too, or a SGML public ID, or
    any
    > other identifier schemes).

    But why add another layer of complexity and a separate file when it is just as
    easy to embed a table in the font with the PUA character properties themselves?

    There is nothing to stop anyone writing and publishing the specs for such a
    custom table which could be added to *any* sfnt format font (TrueType,
    OpenType, AAT, Graphite). Those responsible for writing the rendering systems
    for these fonts could choose whether or not to take any notice of such a table.

    - Chris