Re: New contribution

From: Andrew C. West (andrewcwest@alumni.princeton.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 29 2004 - 10:32:45 EDT

    On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 09:58:11 -0400, Patrick Andries wrote:

    > Andrew C. West a écrit :
    >
    > >Hmm, the problem is that the more "experts" that are involved the more
    unlikely
    > >it is that any sort of consensus can be reached, especially if, as is often
    the
    > >case, they lack the understanding of encoding issues and principles that
    Michael
    > >possesses.
    > >

    > [PA] What are the encoding issues here that "experts" would not possess ?

    I was stating a general principle here. I don't know what particular encoding
    issues may be associated with Phoenician, but few scripts left to be encoded are
    so simple as to be devoid of any encoding issues. And in general scholars who
    are experts in a particular script may not fully understand -- or be willing to
    recognise -- the encoding issues involved. In particular, they may be unwilling
    to accept Unicode's character-glyph model.

    Andrew