Re: New contribution

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Thu Apr 29 2004 - 11:40:33 EDT

    Peter Constable <petercon at microsoft dot com> wrote:

    > Where it is not true to historical origins, I would not reckon
    > something as a cipher. We may come up with other reasons to decide to
    > unify, but I do not think we should reach that decision because we
    > consider it a cipher.

    I assume you mean in the specific Phoenician case, not in the general
    case. Considering a given script (or scriptoid) to be a cipher for
    another script has indeed been used many, many times as a reason not to
    encode. Numerous Latin ciphers have been turned down on that basis.
    (Note that I am not suggesting this is a bad thing.)

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/