Re: New contribution

From: Rick McGowan (rick@unicode.org)
Date: Thu Apr 29 2004 - 14:36:38 EDT

    John Hudson wrote...

    > More than once during this discussion, I've thought that something
    > approaching a general
    > principle might be stated as 'related dead scripts should be unified;
    > their living
    > descendants may be separately encoded'.

    Personally I don't accept that as a general principle for several reasons.
    One example: nobody has yet quite demonstrated that all the dead Brahmi
    relatives, even excluding obvious near-modern scripts like Modi, are
    actually completely unifiable in a way that would be implementable and
    meaningful from rendering to sorting, etc, etc, and would satisfy all the
    relevant scholars. However, there is a current in Brahmi scholarship that
    obviously would like to unify as least *some* of the dead relatives. As
    usual one question is which are to be unified, etc.

            Rick