Re: New contribution

From: Dean Snyder (dean.snyder@jhu.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 29 2004 - 23:03:36 EDT

    John Hudson wrote at 1:51 PM on Thursday, April 29, 2004:

    >I'm familiar with a number of the books in Michael's bibliography, and I
    >think it should
    >be noted that the use of the term Phoenecian may often reflect the Greco-
    >centric tradition
    >of much European writing on the subject. The script is commonly called
    >Phoenician because
    >the Greeks got their alphabet from the Phoenicians -- as every schoolboy
    >learns --: sea
    >traders who spread their writing system around the eastern Mediterranean.
    >
    >I wonder if some of the objections from Semiticists -- and I note that
    >both Dean and Mark
    >are not opposing the Phoencician proposal per se, only expressing
    >concerns about what is
    >or is not or may be unified in it -- might stem from their looking at
    >this script in a
    >different context, in which its use is not specifically linked to the
    >Phoenicians and in
    >which its place in a continuum of structurally identical and graphically
    >related writing
    >systems is more obvious.
    >
    >It is in light of this that I wonder whether the proposal might elicit
    >less objection if
    >the name were changed to make clear that a number of closely related
    >ancient Near-Eastern
    >writing systems are unified in the proposal.

    Very well put.

    Just a few pertinent quotes from one respected West Semitic scholar will
    illustrate the point:

    "Three alphabetic scripts which evolved from a common ancestor [Proto-
    Canaanite] were used in Syria-Palestine in the first millenium B.C.:
    Phoenician, Hebrew and Aramaic." p 53

    "In inscriptions of the tenth century, Phoenician, Hebrew and Aramaic
    scripts are indistinguishable." p 89

    "It should be remembered that, since the three scripts evolved from a
    common ancestor [Proto-Canaanite], the development of some letter forms
    is almost inevitable." pp 99 & 100

    Joseph Naveh, Early History of the Alphabet - An Introduction to West
    Semitic Epigraphy and Palaeography, Brill, 1982

    Respectfully,

    Dean A. Snyder

    Assistant Research Scholar
    Manager, Digital Hammurabi Project