RE: For Phoenician

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Fri Apr 30 2004 - 19:53:34 EDT

    > From: unicode-bounce@unicode.org [mailto:unicode-bounce@unicode.org]
    On Behalf
    > Of Michael Everson

    > Phoenician should be encoded because it has a demonstrable usage,
    > even if it's slight and mostly paedagogical

    Just to be clear, does that demonstrable usage pertain to users other
    than the ancient Hebrew scholars that are currently encoding
    Paleo-Hebrew texts using the existing Hebrew block (and apparently wish
    to continue doing so)?

    If so, who are they? (The proposal doc indicates no contact with the
    user community, and describes the user community in terms of
    generalities: "Scholarly communities... educational communities...".)
    Does that demonstrable usage consist of print publications (typically
    overviews of Western Semitic writing from the 1st millennium BCE), or
    does it also consist of digitally-encoded documents directed at text
    research?

    I'm just asking as I think it would help the situation if a few more
    details on the intended user community were provided. We cannot contest
    that the glyphs are in attested usage. What is of concern to some people
    is whether distinct encoded characters are warranted. For that reason, I
    think information about usage *as encoded information* is pertinent
    here.

    If you don't have info about usage in that sense, just say so. It will
    help us know where things stand.

    Peter

    Peter Constable
    Microsoft Windows Division