Re: New contribution

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Sat May 01 2004 - 10:51:49 CST

On 30/04/2004 00:07, jameskass@att.net wrote:

>Dean Snyder wrote,
>

>>1) The script is wrongly called "Phoenician" - the same script was used
>>for Old Phoenician, Old Aramaic, Old Hebrew, Moabite, Ammonite, and
>>Edomite. That is why I propose it be named "[Old] Canaanite".
>>

>The Latin script is used for English, German, Tahitian, Apache, etc..
>But it remains the Latin script. Likewise, Phoenician is Phoenician,
>even if other users borrowed it.

This is based on a historically unproven assumption that this script
originated with the Phoenicians. I don't think it's even true that the
oldest surviving texts in this script are Phoenician.

>Peter Kirk wrote,
>

>>Not really. Acceptance of the proposal would create an expectation that
>>Phoenician texts should be encoded with the new Phoenician characters,
>>and so that existing practices are wrong and should be changed.
>>

>Not necessarily. The existence of a Cyrillic range doesn't preclude
>Latin script users from writing "Trotsky".

Yes, but writing "Trotsky" and then displaying this word with a font
using Cyrillic glyphs at Latin code points would be a mistake.

>>If there is such a small minority, let us hear from them. As far as I
>>know this is a minority of one.
>>

>Please. When the Phoenician script is approved, I will post a hypertext
>version of the Meshe Stele.
>( http://home.att.net/~jameskass/phoeniciantest.htm )

The Mesha Stele (otherwise known as the Moabite Stone) is already
available in Hebrew script. What is the need for a separate encoding of
the same text?

--
Peter Kirk
peter@qaya.org (personal)