Re: New contribution

From: jameskass@att.net
Date: Sat May 01 2004 - 17:29:25 CST

Simon Montagu wrote,

> This misses the point. The question is whether the oldest surviving texts
> in the "Phoenician" script were written by Phoenicians. The fact that it's
> called Phoenician script doesn't prove anything about its origin: it may
> be analogous to the term "Arabic numbers", which are Indian in origin but
> reached Europe via the Arabs.

It's an interesting point, and I got it. Since we're all discussing scripts
and script encoding, and since Peter Kirk had written, "I don't think it's
even true that the oldest surviving texts in this script are Phoenician",
without specifying that he meant '...in this script are in the Phoenician
*language*', I was only having a bit of fun with his wording.

While the fact that it's called Phoenician script doesn't prove anything
about its origin, it might be considered indicative of the path through
which the script was borrowed.

Best regards,

James Kass