Re: New contribution

From: Dean Snyder (dean.snyder@jhu.edu)
Date: Sat May 01 2004 - 22:38:17 CST

Michael Everson wrote at 4:37 PM on Friday, April 30, 2004:

>No one teaches that "The Greek script is derived from the Unified
>Twenty-Two Character West Semitic Abjad." They teach that "The Greek
>script is derived from the Phoenician script." They certainly do not
>teach that "The Greek script is derived from the Hebrew script."

I'm not sure what to make of your response here. Are you unaware of the
scholarly discussions and controversies surrounding the West Semitic
influences on the Greek alphabet - whether they be Canaanite, Phoenician,
and/or Aramaic?

It's one thing to take a position in these controversies, most of us do;
but it's quite another thing to indicate that such controversies do not
even exist.

Respectfully,

Dean A. Snyder

Assistant Research Scholar