Roman vs. Latin (was: Arid Canaanite Wasteland)

From: John Cowan (cowan@ccil.org)
Date: Sun May 02 2004 - 11:02:22 CDT

Elliotte Rusty Harold scripsit:

> But is there some
> reason we call this the Latin script instead of the Roman script? Not
> that I'm suggesting we change it now, of course. I'm just curious.

Primarily because "roman" is used in opposition to "italic" as the name
of a font face, so "Cyrillic roman" is a sensible notion. We do still
call transliteration into the Latin script "romanization", though.

> Some non-Unicode such use names like MacRoman instead of MacLatin.

Plenty of precedent for that.

--
You are a child of the universe no less         John Cowan
than the trees and all other acyclic            http://www.reutershealth.com