[Fwd: Re: New contribution]

From: Patrick Andries (Patrick.Andries@xcential.com)
Date: Tue May 04 2004 - 06:10:54 CDT

03/05/2004 05:19, Michael Everson wrote:

>> Suetterlin.
>

> Oh shut UP about Sütterlin already. I don't know where you guys come
>up with this stuff. Sütterlin is a kind of stylized handwriting based on
>Fraktur letterforms and ductus. It is hard to read. It is not hard to
>learn, ...

Since when is this an argument ? Neither is Phoenician hard to learn (22
letters with no contextual variants, etc.)... Could we please remain
courteous ?

> ... and it is not hard to see the relationship between its forms and
>Fraktur. ...

The relationship is not at all apparent to someone that reads only the
Latin Script and does not know the genealogy from the Fraktur Script to the
German Script (as Sütterlin was also called). (I like mentioning that
people saw them as different scripts.) Quite analogous to a set of
historically related Northern Semitic scripts, and obviously if you have
learned the genealogy of these scripts it is easy to recognize the
relationship...

P. A.