Re: New contribution

From: jcowan@reutershealth.com
Date: Tue May 04 2004 - 09:56:26 CDT

Peter Constable scripsit:

> 2) the characters in question are structurally / behaviourally very
> similar to square Hebrew characters, but not to the characters of other
> scripts

Not just very similar: structurally, behaviorally, and even phonemically
identical.

> Item 1, I think we'd agree, is just wrong. Item 2 is probably true. But
> is it enough to refer to square Hebrew as "the modern form" of
> Phoenician (Old Canaanite, whatever you want to call it)?

Well, one of the two modern forms, Samaritan being the other.

--
John Cowan  jcowan@reutershealth.com  www.reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan
"It's the old, old story.  Droid meets droid.  Droid becomes chameleon.