Re: New contribution

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Tue May 04 2004 - 11:31:33 CDT

On 02/05/2004 16:48, Michael Everson wrote:

> It is not possible to take an encoded Genesis text which is pointed
> and cantillated, and blithly change the font to Moabite or Punic and
> expect anyone to even recognize it as Hebrew.

Michael, you assert this, but do you actually know it to be true? After
all, this is not your area of expertise. I agree that this kind of
mixture is an anachronistic one, much like the example I mentioned
earlier of Vietnamese in Fraktur. But this text would be easily
recognisable and readable by anyone familiar with both Hebrew and the
Phoenician glyphs.

--
Peter Kirk
peter@qaya.org (personal)