Re: Defined Private Use was: SSP default ignorable characters

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Wed May 05 2004 - 00:52:50 CDT

C J Fynn <cfynn at gmx dot net> wrote:

> I'm not sure whether anyone would want to use non-standard properties
> for such PUA text where they didn't have a font that supported the
> properties for display.

I'm sure they would not.

> One of the reasons I suggested putting the properties in the font was
> that you would then be fairly certain of having the properties that
> font was designed to work with (and avoid the need of having someone
> maintain something like a Con-Script character properties registry).

Certainly, you would want to use a font that associates the correct
properties with characters, PUA or otherwise. But a separate property
database could cover properties that have nothing to do with rendering
(there are some) and could be independent of platform and font
technology.

I think there will be a need for a ConScript properties registry as long
as anyone expects to do more with the characters it encodes than display
them in a chart.

> Anything like this should of course be expressly limited to PUA
> characters.

Of course, because the properties for normal assigned Unicode characters
can be built right into the rendering subsystem.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California
 http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/